:: Pan-Fried Onion Dip ::
I will run I will take an additional yoga class all to eat this Pan-Fried Onion Dip! I promise you this will be the BEST onion dip you will ever make. It will have your doing back flips! My friend Erica brought this amazing dip to a girl’s night I had a few years ago. Just an excuse to get together with a couple of girl friends to watch a little Real Housewives of Orange County. Yes, I know mindless television, but it allowed for us to catch up and hang out. A couple of fun drinks plus some appetizers, made this for the perfect girls night in.
Though it was a simple get together, I did get myself in a little over my head. Shane as always got called into work at the last minute, so my intention of making everything “perfect” wasn’t going that way. When Erica called to ask if she could bring something, I actually for once took her up on it. She brought this dip. It blew our socks off. As a huge fan of Ina Garten, I knew this dip would be amazing. An adaptation of the original recipe makes this dip a wonderful addition to your next summer party.
Pan-Fried Onion Dip
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 block cream cheese I used 1/3 less fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream I used light
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise I used light
- Dice the onions.
- Heat a large pan with the butter and oil.
- Saute over a medium heat.
- Add the onions, both peppers, salt.
- Cook for approx. 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let the onions brown (caramelized) for about 20 minutes.
- Allow the onions to cool.
- In the bowl of a mixer add the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Blend together until smooth.
- Add the the onions.
- Mix together until blended together.
- Serve at room temperature with corn chips (Fritos)