Happiest birthday wishes to my sweet friend and co-author, Nicole! This delicious treat comes at the perfect time to celebrate YOU and all of your grandness! I am so thankful for our friendship and look forward to all that is to come in our much adored space here on Simply! I love you, my friend!!! Thanks for all that you do! xoxo, Sara
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Treats //
Sometimes… you just need a treat. Something that is going to satisfy that CHOCOLATE craving! Am I right? I’ve found it’s far better to give into it, rather than fight the urge for that ‘little something!’ A few bites of dark chocolate always seems to do the trick (plus… it’s a superfood, filled with healthy antioxidants)! That’s why I decided to make a batch of homemade dark chocolate with roasted almonds, coconut + sea salt. It includes some of my favorite flavorful ingredients. It’s texture is smooth and creamy while each bite packs a powerfully intense dark chocolatey taste! Roasted almonds, unsweetened coconut, and a touch of sea salt add a welcomed crunch to the already fabulous chocolate bar! This chocolate dream is simple to make and is a wholesome treat that your whole family will enjoy! Although I started out making this as a ‘mama treat’… my children also have a love of the deep flavors in dark chocolate. They enjoyed helping me make this delightful creation… and begged for “just one more piece!” (I’m positive yours will too!)
- 7 ounces of your favorite (good quality) dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70% cocoa), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted almonds*
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
*I roasted raw almonds. To do this, follow these simple directions here.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Put the chocolate in a glass or stainless steel bowl and set it over the pot of water.
- Stir the chocolate until it is completed melted.
- Pour immediately onto the prepared cookie sheet (spreading the chocolate out, if necessary, using a spatula).
- Evenly sprinkle the melted chocolate with your toppings: almond slices, unsweetened coconut flakes and sprinkling of sea salt.*
- Put the cookie sheet in the freezer to set for approximately 15 minutes.
- Break the chocolate into pieces.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*Additional toppings you could incorporate: chopped bits of dried fruit, seeds (chia seeds/pumpkin seeds), spicy red chili flakes, and/or other chopped nuts.
(Original recipe from It’s All Good cookbook written by Gwyneth Paltrow.)